Boom VisionTM Podcast
Episode 21: Growth Mindset Is Not Enough. Wait, What?!
Movie Quote: "Our fates live within us; you only have to be brave enough to see it." - Merida in the Pixar Movie 'Brave'
Folks, I love it when people say they have a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset. When you have a growth mindset, it means you embrace challenges rather than avoid them. You learn from constructive feedback, rather than ignore them. It's the difference between continuous learning versus the desire to look smart. However, just saying you have a growth mindset is not enough, it really depends on what you are growing?
Quote: “Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is most important.” - Junko Tabei, first woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
In today's episode, I'm going to dive into the topic of why growth mindset isn't enough. Wait, what?! What do you mean? Well, it's broken down into 3 parts. In today's episode, I will share:
- What you grow is important: Seeds versus Weeds
- How you grow will indicate if you are growing efficiently or sporadically
- The WIFI Story
- Where you are growing will determine if you are in alignment with your soul.
- I'll share action steps how to determine if you are applying the right energy and time, depending on the grow stage your top priority needs.
[2:25] - Hi folks, welcome back to episode 21 of the Boom Vision podcast! First of all, I want to do a two quick shootouts:
- Happy Mother's Day! I know mother's day just recently past a few days ago, but I want to say thank you. Thank you to all the mother's out for your love, sacrifice, and relentless strength in raising your children and family. You are the backbone of your family and I want to acknowledge all that you do and more! This is why all quotes I share in today's episode are dedicated to all the strong women out there!
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month. You've heard me say before that health is wealth. Well, the same goes for mental health is wealth. And that's why for today's episode, I want to focus on what it means to have a growth mindset that's in alignment with your vision.
Quote: “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall
[3:27] - What are you growing? Seeds or Weeds?
If your mind is your garden, then your thoughts are seeds. You can grow fruits and flowers or you can grow weeds.
[4:49] - How are you growing? How you grow will determine how efficient or slow you grow.
- Personal Story: The WIFI Story
Quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein
[9:51] - This WIFI incident really made me evaluate my life: am I effectively managing my energy and time? How am I growing in my business, my family, my relationships?
Takeaway: Are you consciously managing how you spend your energy and time? You've heard me say this in Episode 3 on Imagination:
- "Where your thoughts go, energy flows. Where your energy flows, manifestation grows."
So what are you consciously or subconsciously manifesting?
[10:55] - Where are you growing? Depending on WHAT you growing and HOW you are growing, this combo will give you a good indication of the direction you're heading.
[11:53] - Soil, Water, and Sun Framework is what you can do externally.
Internally it's the 3 core pillars of Boom Vision, it's Imagination, Voice and Intuition.
- Your Imagination: how big is your soil? Is it a small planter's box in your backyard? Or is it a botanical garden few acres wide?
- Your Voice (Inner Voice): Are the thoughts you say to yourself internally, are those seeds or weeds that you're consciously or subconsciously planting?
- Your Intuition: What you feel. Do you have the habit to check in with yourself on a daily basis to just acknowledge how you are feeling in the present?
[13:52] - Action Steps: Use the CAL Method
- Calming: Find a way to calm your mind so you can turn off your wind tunnel like I mentioned in the Episode 2. Breathing exercise? Meditation? Do you do yoga? Do you like to run?
- Awareness: For this next stage of your life, are you planting the right seeds and giving it the necessary amount of energy to grow this current stage? Are your thoughts and ideas in the infancy stages or is it more self reliant where you just need to monitor with occasional support? You raise a teenager differently than a newborn and vice versa, so whatever is your top priority, are you matching the necessary energy and time that it needs to grow effectively?
- Language: Asking the right questions. Pay attention to your language you use. Do you use the language "I don't know how" or can I invite you to ask instead "Who can I ask to learn how?" You don't have to do it alone, you can always ask and seek help, you give need to give yourself the space and permission to learn and grow with the right support, the right 'soil' that surrounds you. You don't need to do this alone!
[15:54] - Final Thoughts
Quote: "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” - Maya Angelou
Folks, I hope with today's episode, you have a better assessment of what and how you are growing in areas of your life that matter to you. Do not underestimate yourself, in what you are capable of seeing, feeling and doing. You got this!
And if you are new to Boom Vision, welcome to this community! I'm grateful you are here. To make it really easy for you to calm yourself everyday, I've created a 1-minute breathwork music file that you can easily download on your phone. Just subscribe below these show notes of this episode, you'll be able to download this free file when you subscribe to our Boom Vision community and newsletter, this is my gift to you!
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Send me a DM on IG (@benjaminyeh), or leave a comment and review if you resonate with today's episode!
Free Digital Download!
Don't just move your body, move your SOUL!
Want to feel more confidence, healing energy, or high energy? Subscribe to my Boom Vision email list and get access to 3 of my curated playlists! + BONUS free digital download of my 1-Minute Breathwork Meditation Exercise!