Boom VisionTM Podcast
Episode 7: Perspectives - How 3 Dots Profoundly Changed My Life!
“When you get a different vantage point, it changes your perspective…It allows you to see things you should have seen a long time ago." - Neil Armstrong in the movie First Man.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein. If you have the same thing happen again and again in your life, one way for you to break free of that reoccurring loop is to see that situation different, to ask different questions, so that you can create different solutions. In today's episode, it's all about PERSPECTIVES. I will share:
- How 3 Dots PROFOUNDLY changed my life,
- How seeing different perspectives can spark breakthroughs in your life that can lead to transformative change,
- I'll share action steps you can take to help you level up in your life, business or career.
[0:01] - “When you get a different vantage point, it changes your perspective…It allows you to see things you should have seen a long time ago." - Neil Armstrong in the movie First Man.
[1:10] - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[1:37] - In today's episode, I will share with you how 3 Dots profoundly changed my life, how seeing different perspectives can spark breakthroughs in your life that can lead to transformative change, and I'll share some action steps you can take to help you level up in your life, business or career. Let's cue the intro!
[2:30] - In the book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Dr. Stephen R. Covey explains that “To change ourselves effectively, we first had to change our perceptions.”
What I’ve learned from my personal journey is that by understanding other people’s perspectives, that has not only allowed me to become more aware of where they're coming from, but I also become more understanding and on how to bridge the gap on where they are to where they want to go.
[3:13] - To drive home this concept, I’d like to share a brain teaser I hear back in high school: 3 Dot Challenge IQ question
[7:26] - Question: How did the finalist know she had a black dot on her forehead? What was her explanation?
[8:13] - Answer to the 3 Dot Challenge IQ question.
[12:06] - Why this brain teaser is one of my favorites of all time and why this question profoundly changed my life is that I realized: Perspective is everything!
[12:33] - Backstory of the IQ question and what I learned after sharing this brainteaser with my family that evening.
[15:36] - 3 main takeaways from this backstory of brainteaser
1. Humility: In hindsight, my lesson in humility that night reinforces what I shared before, which is "Be Curious, Not Judgmental"
2. Appreciation: I appreciated my parent's perspectives more so that night than ever before. My newfound appreciation is appreciation for differences. If you can learn to appreciate the different cultures, different religions, and different backgrounds that each of us have, not only do you benefit from multiple perspectives, you'll be able to absorb a more rich and dynamic experience in life.
3. 3D: What do I mean by 3d? To take it a step further, I realized by being in another person's shoes and seeing from their eyes might not be enough. It's linear, and I only get to see from a few more degrees. With just 2 or 3 perspectives, that's still very linear, on a singular plane. If I allow myself to expand my thinking 3-dimensionally, I am giving myself the space and imagination to fully see and grasp the situation or solution.
[18:24] - Self Reflection: "You can't read the label when you're inside your own jar." - Shari Alexander
This is why allowing yourself to have an open mind and listening to different perspectives from others that can provide you unbiased, candid feedback about what they see in you can give you a richer, 3-dimensional image of where you're at.
[19:29] - Folks, growth happens when you step outside your comfort zone. It can be scary as hell, but your perception that it's a giant leap of faith is just a mirage.
But you have to combine actions behind your inner breakthroughs that's what it's going to take to convert them to outer breakthroughs.
[20:07] - What are the Action Steps you can take this week to gain more perspectives?
1. C: Calm: Calm yourself with whatever methods work for you to quiet your wind tunnel.
2. A: Awareness. In that calm state, ask yourself: do I have a tendency to only see from my own eyes? With your Imagination, can you visualize yourself standing in a different part of the circle?
[21:35] - Story: Parking in different spot on daily commute to work.
3. L - Language: Ask yourself, are you asking the right questions?
- Rather than focus on the what, focus on the how.
- Rather than focus on why, ask yourself what if?
- Rather than either/or, ask yourself, what is a 3rd alternative?
- Rather asking "I have this problem, what do I do?," ask yourself "I have this problem, what was I doing to create this in the first place?"
[23:26] - Mix it up!
- If you're able to, mix it up where you work.
- If weather permits, take your laptop and work outside in the shade to mix up your work station.
- Instead of talking in your office, take your phone conversations while you walk around to block or outside.
- If you walk your dog and you have the tendency to walk in the same route every day, change it up, walk the reverse direction.
[24:22] - "Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine." - Benedict Cumberbatch said this as he played the character of Alan Turing in The Imitation Game movie.
There's 2 reasons why I picked that movie quote for today's final thoughts:
1) Stay Humble: No matter how smart you think you are, stay humble...be curious, not judgmental!
2. Potential: Please understand and believe, your potential is not defined by what others say about you. It's not limited to what others might percieve of you. Your potential is entirely your own, and it's how YOU define it. The question is: do you believe in yourself? Do you believe your potential is capped by your past circumstances? Or do you believe your potential is limitless? Cuz it's the people no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine. The first step of faith is BELIEVING IN YOURSELF!
[26:02] - Folks, I hope you appreciate the 3 Dot Challenge I shared today. When you build and strengthen the habit of seeing and hearing different perspectives, how you approach your business, your career and creating your life path can profoundly change.
If you enjoyed today's brain teaser, please share this episode with your family, team, and friends! Can they solve the 3 Dot Challenge in under 6 minutes? Do they have the ability to see from a different perspective? I'd love to hear if today's episode has an impact to you or your team!
Allow yourself to believe you can change, consciously take a different route so you don't become a creature of habit, and allow yourself to listen to different perspectives. You got this!
Don't just move your body, move your SOUL!
Want to feel more confidence, healing energy, or high energy? Subscribe to my Boom Vision community and I'm happy to share my personally, curated playlists!