Boom VisionTM Podcast
Episode 19: What To Do When $#it Hits the Fan?!
Movie Quote: “You, Me or Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain’t about how hard you can hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.” - Rocky Balboa in movie 'Rocky Balboa'
Folks, how many times in your life, have something terribly gone wrong, or perhaps life throws you a curveball that you didn't expect, and you don't know what to do about it?
Quote: "Failure isn't fatal, but failure to change might be" - John Wooden
In today's episode, I'm going to dive into the topic of what to do when the unexpected happens. What happens when failure hits you like a brick wall when you least expected it? How do you handle a crisis, or manage expectations when $#hit hits the fan? I'm also going to share how the BIAS Method is a useful tool for crisis management. What is the BIAS method? In today's episode, I will share:
- How we respond to crisis: The Four F's of Trauma
- B-I-A-S Method
- I'll share action steps how to calmly solve for a crisis and manage expectations when you have other parties involved.
[2:25] - Hi folks, welcome back to episode 19 of the Boom Vision podcast! Whether you're an entrepreneur or building your career, it's nearly impossible that things always go perfectly planned, right? In business and in life, there's highs and lows, ups and downs. The question you have to ask yourself is do you take life like a rollercoaster? Throw your hands in the air and yell "LET"S GO!"? Or do you get motion sick, buckle or freeze?
Quote: "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” - Henry Ford
[3:40] - When crisis happens, or when poop hits the fan, what do you do?
Four F's of trauma:
[5:29] - Client Story: Budget Overrun.
[6:05] - B-I-A-S Method
- Breathe: Take a deep breathe to calm yourself
- Identify: Identify the problem areas
- Assess: Assess how big/small those problem areas are.
- Solutions: Create solution options to remedy and solve for the problem/crisis.
[9:00] - Main Takeaway: Do you have awareness of how you are responding to the crisis? If what's happening is not life threatening where you need to respond in that split second are you giving yourself the space to calm down and see which of the 4 F's is your initial response? Is that response the highest and best?
Afterwards, write down the BIAS method to calmly and methodically solve your problem/crisis.
[9:32] - Action Steps: Use the BIAS Method
- B - Breathe: Calm yourself by taking a deep breathe, like the breathwork exercise 1 min. exercise.
- I - Identify: Identify where the problem areas are at. Where are the symptoms showing up?
- A - Assess: Assess the damages of the situation. Assess where the root causes are at. Are you able to quantify or qualify how small or big the damages or problems?
- S - Solutions: What are the different solution options you can take to alleviate and solve the situation? Is there more than one solution?
When managing expectations with one or more party, set your intentions before the call or meeting.
[11:22] - Story of Leonard
[13:54] - Final Thoughts
Quote: “Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I've met people who don't want to try for fear of failing.” - J.K. Rowling
Folks, I hope by introducing framework, you'll have a better sense of how to manage expectations and know what to do when $#it hits the fan. Rather than freeze, take a deep breath. Rather than worry, identify where the holes are. Assess the damages, Create Solutions that you can take to remedy the situation. When the unexpected happens and it doesn't go entirely as planned, do you mistaken that as failure? I have to consciously remind myself to see those instances as lessons. The greater the lessons the greater you are settling yourself up for bigger success.
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Send me a DM on IG (@benjaminyeh), or leave a comment and review if you resonate with today's episode!
Free Digital Download!
Don't just move your body, move your SOUL!
Want to feel more confidence, healing energy, or high energy? Subscribe to my Boom Vision email list and get access to 3 of my curated playlists! + BONUS free digital download of my 1-Minute Breathwork Meditation Exercise!